Monday, March 21, 2011

Beefaroni, Hamlet, 3-stars and Kodey

So, I've been meaning to blog for a while, constantly thinking "Oh hey, I should blog about Insert interesting topic here' and then I never really get around to it. So I have waited until I have tons to say and the time has (obviously) arrived. So let us begin.

I am sitting in my poorly lit dorm room, waiting for my laundry to dry, eating beefaroni ( I just had to add beefaroni to the dictionary...COME ON dictionary... You should know the word beefaroni), cleaning my room, and listening to music. Not to much fun...well kind of fun... I do like music. This past weekend was really, really fun. Friday afternoon, I went to Sioux Falls with my friend Jenny and her sister and we shopped it up. I bought a new dress from Express and some accessories from New York and Co (not a place I normally shop in, but I was shopping with a 30 year old and her 33 year old sister...Who is a teacher.) It was much much fun. Then Saturday was spent making 4 dozen cupcakes with Ashley is Chris's kitchen. Also much much fun. Saturday night, Chris, Kevin, Tim and I all went to the Chamber Choir's final concert, It was so much fun. I met Bailey and Becca  (Altos in chamber choir) the other day, and I just adore these girls, they remind me a lot of my friends from home, and I hope that we get closer so we can hang out more often. Then after the concert Tim and Chris hosted the Chamber choir after party...which was hilarious!! and soooo much fun. I love these chamber singers (at least the ones that came to the  party...with a couple extras) Sunday was of course the lazy day where I didn't change clothes and did homework. Yup.

A couple weeks ago I was in the Library between classes with my friends Jenn and Jeff, and I was in the Shakespeare section where I found this hilarious book called Twisted Tales from Shakespeare by Richard Armour, and it is soooo funny. Ok it's like English Major funny because unless you've read the actual plays you wouldn't get the joke. So this section is mainly for Charisse and My enjoyment and I will forgive you if you choose to skip over it. I will now give you examples of this books awesomeness categorized by play :

Hamlet
Funny Quote 1: "Some Scholars maintain that in creating the character of Hamlet, Shakespeare was actually depicting himself, a person who could never make up his mind, liked to deliver long speeches when no one was listening, and was always poking his sword through curtains to discourage eavesdropping."
Funny Quote 2: "Shakespeare was never very good at spelling" See Footnote: An indication of Greatness. See Chaucer
Each play also has a little quiz at the end of it, which only add to the humor due to the fact that the quiz is a huge joke, I shall show you:
1. How long can you discuss Rosencrantz without mentioning Guildenstern?
2. Consider the effect on Ophelia's future if she has known know to swim.
:)
Romeo and Juliet
1. Which would you rather be? a. A Montague b. A Capulet c. A Rose by any other name
2. After viewing the corpses of Romeo and Juliet, express your candid opinion of the critic who said that 'at the close of the play both hero and heroine are stronger and finer than at the beginning.'

Othello
1. Are you too depressed, after reading this play, to answer questions on it?
5. Make a detailed comparison of the following speeches by Othello:
a. 'The handkerchief!' (III iv, 92)
b. 'The handkerchief!' (III iv, 93)
c. 'The handkerchief!' (III iv, 96)
7. 'Her hand on her bosom, her head on her knee, 
Sing Willow, willow, willow."
Try singing ANY song in that  position.

Ok I'm done with the Shakespeare book quotations now for those of you who skipped them...but boy did you miss out on some fun. 

Okay, another thing that I thought about lately.... books (I bet you're shocked right??) I'm a member of the book website Goodreads.com and in that website you are supposed to rate the books that you have read. Because of this rating system, I have noticed that when I read a really awesome book, a 5-star, I tend to low ball the next books that I read. However, I was super disappointed with the last 3 books that I read, 3-stars which are way worse than 1 stars because 3 stars have such a great story idea, or characters but there is something missing or wrong and I'm just sad. So anyway, last three books I read I gave 3s, and then the book that I just finished was much better, so without thought I gave it 5 stars. I do love the book, and i'm not trying to belittle it's epicness, but I just noticed how easily I give out the 5 star rating after I've been so disappointed by other books. Just a thought I had. 

And now, I will close with this Justin Beiber video...hahaha I bet everyone of you just rolled your eyes. It's actually about a little 3 year old...maybe 5 I don't remember, and she is sooo adorable. I don't like Justin Beiber's music...at all, but this video at least made me respect him. Check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment